Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Heavy Hearts...and a Smile

It's a sad day in the Webb household.  Brannan lost his MeMe today.  I had met her a few times before our wedding and every time we'd go see her in the assisted living apartment, she'd tell all of her friends that I was "Brannan's Fiance'"...even when we weren't engaged just yet.  I'll never forget the first time I met her.  She found out that I teach dance for a living, and she talked for an hour about her love for dance.  How "the adagio" was her favorite type of dance, and how she loved it's slow and controlled movement.  This was a lady suffering from Dementia, and having a hard time remembering every day basics.  But the thought of Dance put a spark in her, and our conversation was beautiful.  Something I'll never forget...

Even though I didn't have the privilege of knowing MeMe for a long time, I seem to have learned a lot about her.  She's a strong woman, who raised 7 beautiful and compassionate children (4 boys, 3 girls).  All of which had several children of their own.  And when you look around at Christmas, you can tell who's a "true Plaisance" and who, like me, is married into the family.  Just take a look at each person's grin.  It's the same in all of their smiles.  Beautiful.  I learned from Brannan's mom that MeMe told her children to "always smile."  About 2 weeks ago, Brannan and I took baby B to MeMe's place to see her.  She was dressed to the nines and had the most beautiful smile on her face.  As I sat there and watched Brannan hold Baby B in front of MeMe, I learned a lot.  MeMe wanted her children and grand children - and Great Grands too, to put their best foot forward.  To be their best.  And at the top of their best, stands a Smile.  It's the easiest way to brighten our own day, as well as someone else's.  To make the best of any situation.  Carpe Diem. 

When Brannan and I were to be married in the Catholic Church, we chose Father Gerry Martin to be our priest for the ceremony.  We did this, because once I moved back home from LA, we had started attending St. Patrick's church.  Brannan thought to go there, since he knew Fr Martin from childhood at St Thomas More.  Fr Martin was now at St. Patricks.  I loved his homily right away.  We chose him as our priest as well and of course we had to attend a good many meetings in the office of Fr Martin.  Just me, Brannan and Father.  He knew all of Brannan's Plaisance relatives by name.  He could pick them out in a picture. And on the final meeting, we talked about parenting and our plans for children.  At the close of our meeting, Fr Martin looked at me and said "Now Carrie, I sure hope you like the Plaisance genes, because they are thick, and that Plaisance Grin will continue to live on."  Father, I hope you're right.  I can already see the "Plaisance Grin" every time my son gives me that beautiful smile.  Baby Brannan's brand new Guardian Angel wouldn't have it any other way ;)

Rest In Peace. Ella Plaisance "MeMe"

Meme holding B3 on Sept 23rd

No comments:

Post a Comment