Thursday, December 31, 2020

I'm reminded.

My dad was born in Cuba in 1960.  The same year, my mom was born in the US.  I was raised with all of the freedoms this country brings but with the perspective that we are the lucky ones.  I proudly don my Cuban roots, and this week I brushed up on a few supersti...um, traditions for the coming New Year.  They range from 12 grapes as the clock strikes midnight to burning the year's effigy in the street.  While I might actually grab the suitcases and take them for a stroll down the driveway (this will bring about "travel" in your new year), I don't think I'll be lighting a "model" of my past year's self into flames.  But these traditions brought me to a place of reflection, as I feel we all might do this week.  As my mind races through the past 12 months, my heart begs to keep the lessons.

A few months ago, I overheard our oldest boy criticizing our second oldest - "You're so GAY" was mumbled from the back seat.  My voice reflex sounded with "I don't want to hear that ever again!"  It was an immediate need for a quick family discussion as I sauteed vegetables and prepared dinner.  We called BK3 to the kitchen, and I quietly yet seriously addressed his comment made an hour earlier.  After a few minutes, with tears in both of our eyes, he admitted that he understood why that comment was not welcome.  Many people we love are "gay" and he had used that very word to bring someone down.  The realization pierced his heart, while his growth filled mine.  In 2020, I am reminded that my oldest son will love "better" from now on.

5 times this hurricane season, our city found itself inside the "cone of uncertainty."  Each time, I told myself that I'd wait til 36 hours out to make a move.  And there we'd be, 36 hours out, still in it.  The boys would ask "Mama, will there be a tornado with this one?" again and again, and we'd say the same thing.  "Boys, sleep in the living room tonight - we'll be OK."  Each storm would come and go, and this season, we were spared.  With the exception of a few trees down, last minute school closures, and continued thoughts of "what's about to happen?" we found ourselves on the grateful end.  In 2020, I am reminded that our cone of uncertainty is determined by our willingness to be prepared, our patience with what is to come (as it comes), and keeping the hope that we can handle whatever is about to be.

 I can only speak for myself on this one, however I bet some can relate.  I don't watch television.  I don't know what latest Netflix series is in everybody's home.  I don't even know how to log into Netflix.  I start my day with putting breakfast on the table for all the mouths, and I finish my day holding my eyes open over a kitchen sink as I load the dishwasher close to midnight.  If I sat down to watch a show, I'd be asleep in minutes.  Owning a business and raising 4 young children keep my to do list stacked.  So it's not a surprise that a few weeks ago my world stood still as I looked at my sons playing a round of "Around the world" outside.  They're growing into young men while I hurry to check off the next box on the list.  My list will always be there, multiplying.  These days will not.  So I threw the mental list in the trash and joined them.  In 2020, I am reminded that doing should never replace being. 

 And then there's the first two months of this year vs the ten months that followed. How dare our lives be interrupted by a virus for which we weren't equipped?  How unfair for 2020 to be written about in history books?  Doesn't the universe know we had a plan?  Doesn't God know our sights were set and secured?  We ask all of the questions.  And just like how everyone might be kicking this very year right out the door, our experiences are immeasurable.  Never had I imagined the innovation that would take place this year.  Never had I imagined the grace I would show and the grace I would receive.  Never had I imagined the creativity that would emerge as we all kept the laughs (and tears) coming!  Never had I imagined my children would follow our lead each day, marching into uncertain times.  And boy did we all march!  In the midst of our distance, we discovered the very things we had in common - resilience, trust, honesty, hope, fear, and strength.  In 2020, I am reminded of community.  

Cheers, friends!  May we never forget the walks we all took this year!




No comments:

Post a Comment